10/11/10

Geometry Lesson


Today's geometry lesson was learning how to find the circumference of a circle. I find it helpful to explain or "prove" different formulas will work. In order to do this I had them measure the diameter of a jar top and multiply it by 3.14 leaving them with the circumference of the jar top. Next, they took a piece of string and put it around the top of the jar and cut it the correct length. Then, they measured the piece of string using their ruler. They were completely amazed that the answers came out the same, thus "proving" the formula for a circumference of a circle.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Nikki! It's Marty from HSR.
    Yep, showing them is worth a thousand words.
    You can tell them it does equal, but nothing like doing it themselves.
    I like this idea. I'll have my son do that next time we go over circumference. =)

    ReplyDelete